RE: [RC] Weight - heidi

Bruce, there are plenty of riders who ride in Ariats for the very reasons you state.  They make the choice based on comfort, not on weight.

While riders may not primarily choose their saddles based on whether or not they can lift them (but yes, some of us do have to factor that in), they DO make the choice based on fit--both for horse and self--long before worrying about a few pounds here or there.

No, I'm not dancing around--just trying to point out that there are a lot of factors involved, and that it is silly to be so obsessed over a few pounds in an aerobic sport when its effects are nowhere near the effect in anaerobic situations.  And in my experience, most riders do NOT obsess over a few pounds here or there--comfort and fit are the keys.

And while nobody is adding weight up to 235, there are FEI riders riding in that ballpark.  I weighed Barry Waitte at Steph's FEI ride a couple of years ago when I was the steward in charge of the scale, and he tacked in around 220.  But that's my point--there is no NEED to bunch the weights any more than they do by requiring the 165 lb minimum--at 235, you're only 70 lbs over that, which would be comparable to a jockey weighing 3.5 lbs more in a race.  And good horses carry much more difference than that and still win races.  If anyone is dancing here, Bruce, you are--there are simply far too many more variables to worry about than weight, even though we all realize that it does have some effect.

Heidi  (who tacks a few lbs lighter than Barry, but he's WAAAY fitter and could ride circles around me at this point in my life--those pesky variables again....)

I don't follow your logic on a lot of those things, Heidi. Tights are
comfortable, yes,  and so are my leather chaps. Ariat boots are just as
comfortable as tennis shoes, and give better support. I don't really
think that people choose the weight of a saddle primarily because of the
effort it takes to lift it onto the horse. At least I've never heard
anyone say that was their prime motive. A nice side benefit, perhaps.
Leather can be waterproof and handy also. I think you're dancing around
the obvious. If we can get these qualities in lighter equipment, we'll
take it. Weight is important to every rider. And it's important because
everyone knows it makes a difference. Oh, and personal experience is
limited, not universal. There are plenty of riders out there riding in
light saddles that are hurting their horse's back. Some actually don't
opt for the heavier, better fitting saddle. As an aside, one of the
sales facts offered with almost any saddle out there, is how much it
weighs. I think we have a case of the Emperor's new clothes here.
Everyone wantst their horse to carry as light a weight as possible, but
some are unwilling to admit that significant additional weight makes for
significantly greater effort on behalf of the horse. I guess I just
can't walk out to the corral, look my horse in the eye, and say "Sure
it's Tevis, but quit your squawkin'..... It's only an extra 75 pounds."
 You tellin' me there are FEI riders adding weight up to 235?  Count me
in!  My horse and I are already used to that.   Dr Q, who could really
go for a grilled cheese right now