Re: [RC] 2006 Big Horn 100 - Laney Humphrey

Joe Long wrote:
On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 20:17:41 -0700, Laney Humphrey
<laneyhh@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Old timers complain that today's riders can't do really tough rides. They may not be wrong, but the sport has to keep up with the times. We are no longer a nation of people who grew up on horseback out in the woods, learning horsemanship and outdoor skills almost before we learned to walk.

Hmmmm? I have nearly13,000 miles, am an AERC Hall of Fame rider, who owns an AERC Hall of Fame horse (who has over 11,000 miles himself) -- and I grew up in the city, in a poor section of town, and didn't own a horse until I was 22 years old.

That gives you about 20 years on most people, who get their first horse in their 40s.

Rather than designing rides that can be completed by only a very few (& those likely to be locals who know the trails with their eyes closed); successful ride managers will acknowledge that for probably 95% of today's AERC members, riding is a hobby fitted into a busy schedule of work and family. I'm not arguing for walks in the park; I am suggesting successful and popular rides will be ones that accurately measure the trail, then accurately describe it, and finally recognize that in today's world, vets and drag riders are expected and necessary.

Vets and well-marked trails, yes. Drag riders -- nice to have, but hardly necessary.

IMHO, whether drag riders are necessary or not depends a lot on how RM wants its ride perceived by MOST people. Many, if not most, rides today, have drag riders so they are expected. If RM chooses not to have them, that should be made very clear from the outset so riders know not to expect help from behind.

There is a place for extreme rides such as Big Horn apparently was, but they should be described as such and perhaps limited to people and horses with many miles of comparable experience so that the unwary are not put at unneccessary risk.
Laney

Hmmm ... that's why Sanshra finished the Big Horn 100 in 3rd place, when it was his very first 100. His first ride longer than 55 miles.

The Big Horn is tough, no doubt about it.  But it is also very
do-able.  This year had some extra challenges, with abnormally hot
weather and the re-route.  Still, most of the riders finished
successfully.  And when you finish that ride, you are on top of the
world.

Joe, you and RM, IMHO, are blindsided to this year's reality at Big Horn. In most years, from what I've heard, the ride is do-able but tough and should be attempted by only the most experienced. This year's ride did include unusual challenges - having to reroute the trail being the biggest from what I'm reading but also the heat - which RM did not appear to accomodate. I've ridden rides that were acknowledged to be long where RM extended the finish time; I've ridden rides in extreme heat where pulse criteria was lowered in order to slow people down & where additional holds have been added. There were plenty of very experienced riders on very good horses who could not complete this year's ride. That should send up red flags. One of those experienced riders is one who lost his horse. Another red flag in my opinion.

In my not-so-humble opinion, anyone who wants to experience the finest and most beautiful challenge that our sport has to offer, will do the Big Horn 100 at least once. You really haven't had the full endurance experience without it.

Several of us have posted very similar opinions about the reality of our sport today. None of us is arguing for doing away with tough, extreme rides such as Big Horn but we are saying that rides need to be designed for the rider of today. The most successful leaders lead by following to paraphrase a friend of mine. If people want to have extreme rides, designed to be beyond the abilities of most riders, they should go ahead, but not seek AERC sanctioning which opens any ride up to anyone.
Laney