Re: [RC] 2006 Big Horn 100 - Joe Long

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 20:17:41 -0700, Laney Humphrey
<laneyhh@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Old timers complain that today's riders can't do really tough rides.
They may not be wrong, but the sport has to keep up with the times.  We
are no longer a nation of people who grew up on horseback out in the
woods, learning horsemanship and outdoor skills almost before we learned
to walk.

Hmmmm?  I have nearly13,000 miles, am an AERC Hall of Fame rider, who
owns an AERC Hall of Fame horse (who has over 11,000 miles himself) --
and I grew up in the city, in a poor section of town, and didn't own a
horse until I was 22 years old.

Rather than designing rides that can be completed by only a
very few (& those likely to be locals who know the trails with their
eyes closed); successful ride managers will acknowledge that for
probably 95% of today's AERC members, riding is a hobby fitted into a
busy schedule of work and family.  I'm not arguing for walks in the
park; I am suggesting successful and popular rides will be ones that
accurately measure the trail, then accurately describe it, and finally
recognize that in today's world, vets and drag riders are expected and
necessary.

Vets and well-marked trails, yes.  Drag riders -- nice to have, but
hardly necessary.

There is a place for extreme rides such as Big Horn apparently was, but
they should be described as such and perhaps limited to people and
horses with many miles of comparable experience so that the unwary are
not put at unneccessary risk.
Laney

Hmmm ... that's why Sanshra finished the Big Horn 100 in 3rd place,
when it was his very first 100.  His first ride longer than 55 miles.

The Big Horn is tough, no doubt about it.  But it is also very
do-able.  This year had some extra challenges, with abnormally hot
weather and the re-route.  Still, most of the riders finished
successfully.  And when you finish that ride, you are on top of the
world.

In my not-so-humble opinion, anyone who wants to experience the finest
and most beautiful challenge that our sport has to offer, will do the
Big Horn 100 at least once.  You really haven't had the full endurance
experience without it.
--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx