[RC] Horses in Slant Loads - Jonni

Susan asked: >>>Just wondering if anyone who has a slant load ever loads their horses backwards or not or even if it's not rocommended somehow due to safety issues.<<<

I have hauled a couple of ours "reverse slant" as we call it. Our trailer is set up to be able to haul a competition carriage in the back, and two horses in the front. We had a side ramp installed, so I could load the horses in and out, without moving the carriage. So, those front two stalls, if I loaded them with the side ramp, they were facing "backwards". I have also turned them to face backwards when loaded from the rear, and no carriage in the trailer. Last, I had a couple horses that I removed the first divider, and gave the horse two front stalls, and let them ride loose. My little science fair project found this. My one gelding liked to face backwards at night. I think the on coming headlights bothered him. He would face forwards during daylight, then turn around and face backwards after dark when loose in the two stalls.  It is interesting to haul them loose a few times if possible, to see which way they face. many will face what ever the "normal" direction is that they are used to for the first few rides, then find they can shift to what might be more comfortable. if you haul two facing backwards, and the divider slopes down to where they could reach over and bite each other, be sure to tie them so they can't, or I rigged up a stall guard to keep them from reaching over.

I'd give it a try with your horse, to see if they seem more comfortable. I can see no reason not to.