Re: [RC] Horses in Slant Loads - Don Huston

Hello Susan & Jerry,
I do not think there are any safety issues having horses ride backwards. Every time I have hauled a horse (3-4 different horses) loose in a stock trailer they always turn around and ride backwards. I always put the most nervous horse in last on a slant load because it usually has more room and no close wall for him to scramble against. Put the problem guy in last and lock the back then turn him loose and let him chose. You might get in the trailer by yourself and have someone give you a ride to see if there is something going wrong with the trailer, also pull up the mats and check the floor with a sledge hammer. I used a stock trailer one day that had a big piece of loose rubber mat on the rear wall. It looked fine until I parked on a steep slant to hose it out and the rubber swung away from the wall. Maybe the horse box is filling up with exhaust? Seems kind of strange after 9 years, did you get a new truck and change driving habits like 75mph now instead of 55 like before or add some portable panels to the trailer that are making a lot of noise?  Good Luck,
Don Huston