[RC] CoolMedics vests - Susan Favro

The CoolMedics vests works on an evaporative cooling principle. There’s a batting fabric in the quilted fabric that absorbs and holds the water. Then there are several layers of high tech fabrics that create an evaporative cooling effect using the water held in the batting. That’s why the cooling effect lasts so long. The length of time the vest will cool is dependent on your temperature, the outside temperature, if there’s a wind/breeze, etc. In more humid environments, evaporative cooling is not as effective and this would also be true for the cooling vests. One statistic I’ve heard is that the vests are about 65% as effective in humid weather. However in dry heat it’s 100% incredible.

Consider this: The CoolMedics fabric has been laboratory tested in a heat chamber. The heat chamber had an inside temperature of up to 114 degrees. In every test, the CoolMedics fabric (monitored with a separate temperature sensor) maintained a temperature that was 20 to 25 degrees lower than the heat chamber. And it held that for a period of 4½ hours before climbing to the temperature inside the chamber. When the CoolMedics fabric was removed from the heat chamber and recharged (by immersing it in water for 2-3 minutes), it again was 20-25 degrees lower than the heat chamber temperature.

I do like have the cooling fabric all around me (versus elasticized sides). If I’m riding in a short sleeved shirt, I can cool the under side of my arms when they’re against the sides of the vest. I also like having a collar on the vest not only for the cooling, but also for the sun protection it gives.

If you haven’t had a chance to try a vest, you might consider getting a neck scarf or cooling cap (a beanie style that fits under a helmet or baseball cap).

I use the vest when I ride and also use it when I’m working outside on hot days. For rides such as Tevis a lot of riders are wearing the vest dry in the morning to give a bit of warmth in the early morning coolness and then soak the vests at the first check.

If you have more specific questions on the fabric, colors or the styles, let me know. There’s additional detailed information about the fabric as well as photos of the styles on my Web site.

If you’d like to try a vest, I’ll have demo vests ready to cool you at the following upcoming rides: Pink Flamingo (Idaho), Tevis (California), Santiam Cascade (Oregon).

…S
Susan Favro
Healthy As A Horse Network
“Innovative effective products for the conscientious horse owner”
Voice – 406.864.8000
Fax – 559.272.6093
Mobile – 406.370.6399
E-mail – Susan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx