[RC] Trailer bedding (shavings)- - Jonni

On long trips (TX to CA for Tevis etc) I use fairly deep shavings. I try to buy ones that are larger fluffier shavings, and not those that are the smaller, finer ones. I also wet them down pretty good to make the damp and to keep dust down, and keep them from flying around. I usually have fly masks on the horses too. I think the shavings help keep the road heat down on the horses feet. Even through rubber mats, on a long day, on a hot road, they get warm.  I don't cover legs, even for those long hauls. When I unload along the way, I clean out the poop, and dispose of it in a way to not leave a mess that non horse people would be offended. Then I can see how much they are pooping. Same with the wet shavings from urine. Scoop out, and I can monitor that too.

We have a 4 horse slant, and this works for me. May or may not work for you.

Jonni in TX