Re: [RC] Trailer bedding (shavings)- - Truman Prevatt

Road surface temps in the summer can get up to between 120 to 140 degrees F even hotter on very hot days. There is little insulation in a trailer floor. Over a long trip the floor of a trailer can become hot and eventually the rubber matting will become hot. Shavings provide fairly decent insulation for the road heat.

I normally use shavings on all long trips. It also allows you to determine if (and how much) the horses urinated. My trailer has "flow through" ventilation since I travel with the windows down (bars up) and the windows on the butt side down ( I have butt side windows for better air flow). I've never noticed any issues with blowing shavings. I've never found any evidence of shavings in the mangers and if they were blowing up so they could bother the horses some would have landed in the mangers.

Truman

Jonni wrote:
On long trips (TX to CA for Tevis etc) I use fairly deep shavings. I try to buy ones that are larger fluffier shavings, and not those that are the smaller, finer ones. I also wet them down pretty good to make the damp and to keep dust down, and keep them from flying around. I usually have fly masks on the horses too. I think the shavings help keep the road heat down on the horses feet. Even through rubber mats, on a long day, on a hot road, they get warm. I don't cover legs, even for those long hauls. When I unload along the way, I clean out the poop, and dispose of it in a way to not leave a mess that non horse people would be offended. Then I can see how much they are pooping. Same with the wet shavings from urine. Scoop out, and I can monitor that too.
We have a 4 horse slant, and this works for me. May or may not work for you.
Jonni in TX

--

"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. The opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." Niels Bohr -- Nobel Laureate, Physics