Re: [Norton AntiSpam] Re: [RC] Riding at Night - bluwolf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

My husband & I did the Hoffman Moonlighter rides in NC a number of times MANY years ago. The first time, we had head lamps, glow sticks, flashlights. We found didn't like using any of them and I got motion sickness from the moving lights, too.

Subsequent years, we rode without light and had a pair of flashlights with red film filters for "emergencies". Never used them.

One year, they just didn't use too many glow sticks to mark the long straight stretches. Sometimes, you got to worrying that you missed a turn ages ago. The neatest thing was how my husband's horse learned to scan for the glow sticks. He'd actually perk up & pick up the pace when he saw the next, infrequent marker. Almost as if to say, "Yay! We AREN'T lost."

As to sleeping around doing night rides - ask any off shift worker. Essentially, it is easier to set your clock forward - staying up later each subsequent night until you have a night awake/day sleep schedule. Of course, this assumes the luxury of being able to do that if you have a day job...

Whatever you do, don't drive home if drowsy! I did that one year - no sleep for 36+ hours. The dashed white line on the road began to look like bunny rabbits hopping in front of me. DEFINITELY time to pull over for a much needed nap!

Linda Flemmer

Quoting Truman Prevatt <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

The one time I put a glostick on a breast collar, I was ready to loose my lunch within about 20 minutes