Re: [Norton AntiSpam] Re: [RC] Riding at Night - Truman Prevatt

The one time I put a glostick on a breast collar, I was ready to loose my lunch within about 20 minutes from the light moving around in my peripheral vision field. I took it off and in five minutes was fine. I always carried a small flashlight (actually two of them) in case I needed light. Otherwise no light for me - my horse did just fine with that.

Truman

rdcarrie@xxxxxxx wrote:
I have one whole 100 under my belt, this past May. I'm one of the ones who chose to ride au natural (no lights, glowbars, etc. on my horse). We had a full moon, and about 80% of the trail was in the open. The moon wasn't up for part of the first loop I rode in the dark. The sections of trail I rode early on that went through the patches of woods were blacker than the inside of a cow...I couldn't see my hand in front of my face. But my horse could see just fine, and flew down the winding trail as if it were daylight. It was really fun, and kind of surreal. It was nice and bright in the open once the moon came up. To me, having any light source on my horse would have ruined the experience for me. I loved being out there in the dark, even in the patches of woods, which were still kinda dark even when the moon came up. I just trusted my horse to follow the trail and watch where he was going, and he never took a misstep. I could feel him moving side to side on the trail to avoid ruts, etc., slowing down on his own for rough sections, etc. I did have a light in my pommel bag that I could pull out and use if I needed it, and a small flashlight in my camelbak in the event my horse and I parted company. <G> All of the advice I had read was to "trust your horse, he can see" and that's what I did." He came through with flying colors. :)
Dawn in East Texas
and Bear (trust me, Mom, I know where I'm going!)

--

"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. The opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." Niels Bohr -- Nobel Laureate, Physics