Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 9:38 AM
Subject: [RC] Riding at Night

For marking trail, get the 6 inch, not the cheaper smaller 4 inch, the smaller ones don't last as long.  Green was definitely the brightest, their pink was not as bright as I would have expected.  All were still visible from sundown to sunup though.  I had a green sample one still producing a faint glow more than 24 hours later.  USE A DIFFERENT COLOR FOR MARKING WATER.  Even in the open NV desert we had at least 2 riders tell me they didn't see the troughs, they did see about a million glowbars but the troughs were on a turn to a different trail and they thought we had just marked the turn really well.  And I have this suspicion that we as riders missed some water on our 100 for that same reason, could not see the troughs in the dark.  We'll probably use the pink next year to hang off the troughs and use green and blue or orange to mark trail (2 different loops to mark).  We ended up using so much chalk and glowbars that we didn't even need to have put out ribbons, and probably won't next year.  I'm still looking for a good method to pick up the glowbars off the ground after the ride, we don't have a lot of vegetation so were just putting them on the side of the trail/roads, could only actually hang a few.

~ Crysta & Sinatra, Tevis Bound!
AJandCrysta at sbcglobal.net