[RC] ewe necked babies - agilbxr

 I have been very busy lately watching my little future endurance horse grow.  He's almost 9 months old now, still butt high, but not quite as much, so I can only conclude that eventually the front end will catch up.  (his parents are both level...we are assuming he will be.  Some day!).  I measured him Saturday at somewhere between 12.2 hands and 13 hands (he wouldn't hold still....), but he's built kind of narrow still.  Of course, i'm comparing him to the 2 cutting bred quarter horses, the foundation appaloosa, the halflinger, and the obese Paso that he currently lives with.  Compared to that crew, everyone is narrow.

What I was actually wondering about was that he currently has a ewe neck.  If he gets annoyed or curious that head goes straight up in the air.  I have been working on teaching him a head down cue, and he's pretty good about it, but is there any reason to worry about a ewe neck on a baby, or do you just let them grow, and work on it as they get to riding age.  I know, theoretically anyway, how to fix it in a horse that I can ride, but how about in a baby?  He won't be lunging for a few years (that doesn't count the excited "run around Mom on the end of the lead rope as fast as possible cause the other horses are running around like idiots and I wish to join them" thing), and I have a theory that the younger I teach/work/play with him, the better.

Oh, and I have worked very hard with him not to be afraid of flappy things like whips and tarps and noisy plasic bags and feed sacks tied around his neck and rain ponchos, etc. Ok, now, how do you make him trot on lead????  With the others, I flapped things at them, they would move out.  Merlin thinks flappy things are a game and couldn't care less.  Sigh.... Can you tell I've never raised a baby by myself before?

Juli and the Herd
Alpine (I don't like flappy things, and I don't have an ewe neck....if anything, Mom says I like to overcollect, just cause I can canter with my nose between my knees)
Spot (I don't like flappy things, and I'm built like a Lippizan with spots)
Merlin (I'm short.  I have to stick my head WAAAYYYY up in order to see!)