[RC] Bad Beet Pulp???? - Renie M burnett

Hemorrhagic Bowel Syndrome (HBS)

Susan G., Heidi S.,   I just received my latest issue of Western Dairymen, and i really DO NOT need to be reminded that horses are NOT dairy cows;  However,  there was a discussion about a disease called Clostridium perfringins that affects cows, and I believe it is a Clostridium disease, Tetani (sp.?) that affects many species, horses, humans, etc. Several vets were Questioned on a round table forum.  One paragraph caught my eye:

Have you noticed any environmental or nutritional  conditions that can lead to HBS?
Dr. Holland (DVM of the North Valley Veterinary Clinic, in Gooding, Idaho) answers  "We see a higher incidence ....when any moldy feed is presented to the cows.  The mold we typically see is found in the haylage, and sometimes in commodity feeds.  the most offending commodity in our area seems to be beet pulp.

I actually retrieved the issue out of the garbage can as that last statement really kept bugging me;  I would sure feel better if this was checked out;  I have often worried about the shredded beet pulp I get from a popular dealer here in North California;  the stuff is very dry, but could have been moldy before dehydration.  I do not have allergys, but that beet pulp can sure make me sneeze.  i am thinking I might not use it anymore;  mold is not good horse food..renie