[RC] Acupuncture (was Vit E deficiency) - Barb Peck

One of my horses had a pasture accident (sliding stop in the mud, sat down on
himself and tore
a big muscle in the butt).

Because he was pretty much 3 legged lame (and he was re-injuring the injury by
getting up and down
from laying down) he got muscle sore/tight in other parts of his body-
especially over his back.

My Vet is a certified acupuncture (instructor) and he did several sessions on
him.  There were needles every where, and you could just see the horse relax
during the whole session. Vet said he was a goos patient, because some horses
do not like the needle insertion - this horse went from cranky man to laid back
man in about 5 minutes after Don would start putting needles in.
In one area, he applied a small electrical stimilus to the needles (he said
you really have to know what you're doing for this - and he had failed some of
the Vets in his class)

It definitely helped.  The effects could be seen for several days after the
session.. and this horse was being done about every 4 days for a while, then
spaced farther appart (he had a month protocol).

It's pricey - but my Vet was using this horse for a case history (becuase he
had ultrasounds of the original injury) and he gave me a break on the price.

A friend of mine has her daughters event horse done about a week or so before a
big competition - (this horse seems to be always a little sore in the shoulders
- but really nothing anyone other than the owner could notice.) Our Vet goes
over sites on the body he calls pressure or trigger points- and I've seen my
horse really vilently react to one that hurts, then over time become
non-reactive to those points.

I think in certain circumstances it's very beneficial.
The trick will be finding someone who knows what they're doing.

Barb
it helps