Subject: Re: [RC] how many endurance riders shoe and trim their own horses? - Pvan19

I agree with you Jody on the fact that if you can't agree on a shoeing method with a given client you should not work with him/her

however - I don't agree at all on the generalisation that farriers don't want to listen

Come on - I'm sure that in the US like in Europe there are loads of good and bad and average farriers out there!

And I think there are a lot more nighthmare clients around than farriers!! It's amazing what people will say... they'll read a book and show a picture saying 'this is what I want' without understanding what this implies for the horse and the work it's in... with the barefoot and self trimming rage coming up in Europe people read an internet site, have a go at it themselves, ruining their horse's feet and than calling the farrier ( who is expected to show up straight away ofcourse) to repair the damage.. the lack of hygiene and regular foot care, the lack of regular shoeing and trimming... people nailing shoes back on themselves when they fall off after 10 weeks, than realising the horse is dead lame... customers expecting the farrier to go thru a knee deep muddy field to catch the horse himself (ie run after him for an hour, horses are not stupid ) and than shoe him even though he can't even see the feet because of all the mud...than take three months to pay their bills...  I could go on & on... sound familiar hihi???

People doing their own trimming & shoeing is fine (even though I think it's not worth the money savings)- on condition you get really good training and supervision...which I think is hard to find, and takes years of practice...

Being a farrier is an incredibly hard and unrewarding job - the good ones are passionate about helping horses fulfill their potential which is the only way you can do this for a long time without throwing in the towel

Not surprisingly a lot of my farrier husband's favourite customers are endurance riders - they are much more aware of the importance of good feet and shoes than in most other disciplines, and have more knowledge and the desire to experiment with new techniques - so much more interesting and gratifying to work with!

If you keep getting bad farriers - ask yourself if you're a good customer ??

just my thoughts...

Pauline

From: Jody Rogers-Buttram <dragnin100@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [RC]   how many endurance riders shoe and trim their own horses?

That is always the drawback with farriers....they DON'T want to listen.  As endurance riders, I don't think that we are asking the farriers to do something to the feet that is unhealthy.  BUT, as a farrier, I was taught that if the owner wants you to shoe a horse in a manner that is not hoof healthy, that you should drop that client.  I have one time, dropped a client.  It was a QH stallion, ex-halter horse, a really georgous horse, but he had the most horrible contracted heels.  They wanted to continue to stuff him into shoes too tight.  I stopped shoeing him.