[RC] endurance riders shoeing thier own horses - Judie Ricci

I know several endurance riders that shoe thier own.   My husband and I went to shoeing school ,  I had the anatomy  of the hoof memorized .  I worked as a veterinary tech, and took tons of hoof x rays,  Pete builds rockets , so we figured we could  shoe.   We had a very hard time finding a farrier in N. Alabama,   so we had to do it our selves or trailer the horses a long way to a farrier.
We have been shoeing our own for about 6 years.
John Crandall who WON the OD 100 ,  (again)     is an excellent shoer,  he is always willing to advise on different  types of shoeing,  John does it for a living and works with Dr, Waldron to help correct  hoof problems . I doubt he worries about losing a shoe.   Flora , Anna, Sarah, Steve, the list goes on,   it is a hard thing to do ,  there is so much concussion in endurance ,  longer harder  trotts than most disiplines.    Poor shoing  will cause problems quickly,   You have to learn to shape the shoes , be sure they are flat ,  balance the hoof.   A lot of things some "shoers"  dont always  pay attention to.
 Here in the north a lot of rides are very rocky ,  with limestone  instead of dirt.  There arent  very many rides that have a lot of dirt, or sand.    We are always finding new ways to keep shoes from wearing out too soon.  I dont think any one  up here would go to a ride in old shoes, or questionable shoes  .
    If you think the Old Dominion has rocks wait until the Fort Valley Ride.  I think all the rocks in the whole world came from Ft. Valley.   IF you can afford the time and expense of a good farrier school,  you will pay yourself back pretty quickly.  no waiting for the shoer,   no worries about scheduling ,   the equipment can be purchased easily ,   the high quality tools   are really worth the money,   using a forge in winter to create neat stuff with old shoes is fun.  you can learn to use drill tech,  borium nails, ect....      Shoes up here in N.Va  are high dollar.,    I dont know how we would afford to keep 6 horses in shoes if Pete didn't shoe.   There are several good book by Butler  on shoeing.     Happy Trails

Judie Ricci
EarthLink Revolves Around You.