[RC] Beans - Barb Peck

I have had geldings most all of my life.. and you can get them used to having
one removed if you work at it, like anything else with a horse.

OK- hope this doesn't sound X-rated, but I start out by just handling the
sheath of a young horse, eventually working up a soft brushing session to where
they're relaxed, and eventually their peenie will drop all the way down. Once
you get them used to have it handled dropped, then it's not much more to
getting the bean out. I use either a Q-tip - or my little finger (use of a skin
glove is recommended)  Once you know where the pouch is, it's easy - on some
you can sorta peel back the skin alittle, and if the bean is hard enough it
comes out easier.
I use a little Monistat & (miconazole) cream on the Qtip or my (gloved)
finger.. If there's just smegma in the pouch- then it's not a bean... the
smegma has to harden to be a "bean".

If the bean is big, then it presses on the ureter (I think thats the name of
the little vessel the pee comes out of).
so if the peenie is out of the sheath when they pee, the stream as it comes out
will look like a spray , like  a garden hose with the spray nozzel on....!!
If it looks like that- then a bean may be in there interferring with the stream.
Horses that pee into their own sheath.. well - you can't tell what's going on
there.

I can do the whole process with my older gelding in about 10 minutes.
I have a four year old I have to the point where he'll drop, and I can handle
it (Am I really writing this?)
You want to make sure the horse isn't going to cow-kick you.. so plan on taking
a while to get the horse to the point where you can go after the bean.  The
bean pouch is orientated at the 12 oclock position (pointing directly at the
horses head with the peenie fully extended and hangng down.)

Once you know your horse, and have done it a few times you'll know how often it
needs to be done. Or ask you're Vet how often he thinks it at least needs to be
looked at.  I do know some geldings that are sort of self-cleaning, and don't
need it very often (it's an anatomical thing).

Ok.. I hope this helps.
Barb

Mary Ann Spence wrote:
HHHHHHmmmm I have my first gelding.... he was late being gelded.  Probably has
never had this done.  Do you watch the urine stream to determine if it needs to
be done?  Use KY jelly?  Does the horse mind it being done????