RE: [RC] Top Of The Rock - Paul Sidio

On Friday morning, they told us the rain was long gone. This was to be my first 50 mile ride, so I was glad to not have to deal with rain and mud. Since it was steamy and muggy, I opened the windows of my motor home. About 15 minutes out of camp, I remarked to the people I was riding with that it seemed to be raining. They assured me that they were locals, and this was just the morning dew coming off the leaves. A little later, I told them that Indiana must have the biggest leaves in the world, cause our Ozark trees could never hold this much water. Then there was a big crash that in the Ozarks would have been thunder, but in Indiana must have just  been the heavy dew breaking a tree branch.
When we finished the first loop, I was as wet as I have ever been, when fully clothed, in my life. The rain had come in the RV windows and things had gotten wet there too.

The only thing I did that seemed weird was to carry my sponge and squeegee the whole day. After every loop I changed into the drier ( there weren't any that qualified for driest,) clothes I could find. The really puzzling thing was that none of this seemed miserable. We had a great ride, on a great trail with great people. The rain just helped keep the horses cool. The ride management and vets did a great job. My horse went so well on his and my first 50 , that we did the 25 LD the next day too. The rain made the pines and honeysuckles smell so nice.

One thing Karen Lynd didn't mention in her earlier post was the very commendable act of sportsmanship she did on the Saturday 25 mile LD ride. She got BC on Friday. On Saturday, she wound up riding with a group of three other riders  that all came in together to the finish line. The other riders had caught up to her on trail, and they helped her horse pick up his pace. Her horse pulsed down before theirs, but she didn't ask for completion until they pulsed down. This generous and unselfish act allowed 2 juniors the chance to stand for BC, and cost her the chance to get BC for 2 days in a row.  This is what this sport should be about. I had never met her before, but have tremendous respect for her after seeing that.

Paul Sidio....and Piper (14.3 tall, 800 pounds, triple ought feet, 50  miles in 5:15 and 25 miles the next day in 2:47 carrying 220 pounds) The Wonder Horse
Spokane MO