Re: [RC] Where to live? - Laney Humphrey

Hi Sabrina,
Non horsey friend of mine, looking for a place to retire, figured out what climate they liked. Then they looked at maps of the US that focused on weather/climate & picked a few places to look at. Actually, they settled in Prescott, AZ & love it.
You say nothing about your budget, whether or not you'll need to work, what kind of riding (endurance & other) you like to do or lots of other aspects of "real" life so it's hard to know whether Marin county, Ca where the median home price is probably $1Million or somewhere cheaper is what you're looking for. Instead of looking for AERC rides just within a state's boundaries, I'd decide on a distance I'd be willing to drive to get to the kind of ride I like to do, then start looking for green places within my budget with the greatest number of rides within that milage. Sounds easy, right?!
Gool luck & keep us all informed on what your search turns up because lots of us are also looking!
Laney

Joe/Sabrina wrote:
I live in AZ. Always have (I am a native as is my mom). My hubby and I are looking to get out of Phx in the next few years.
Your mission is to give me any info you know of as to where to go. We are looking at Texas, Ky, the Carolinas and maybe Tenn but are open to suggestions. We want a small, total horse friendly community, with green. And, I am looking at # of aerc rides. Az is growing so fast and I am tired of the non-green. Besides, this year, we only have 4 aerc rides in Az itself. I am excited about all the research, but dont know where 'scary' areas are and need everyones input! I am in a horse friendly area now, everyone has horses, but nobody rides?!!! Please brag to me all your favorite places!
Thanks!
Sabrina (cough, wheeze, sneeze at the dust.)