[RC] Round Bales - Diane

Our hay farmer is going to round bales because of his age and the lack of good help.  We have been with him for about 4 years and his hay is wonderful.  So, it is time for us to make a change.  The bales are only 500# and two people can push them around.  They are the equivalent of about 10 sq. bales.  We have only 4 horses  presently.  Is using a pitch fork the most effective way of removing the hay you want from the bale?  We have an electric shrub trimmer and are going try to 'trim' some pieces off of it.  Has anyone tried that method?
Thanks for any input.
Diane-Northern MI