[RC] gaited horses - larry Miller

Regardless of the breed chosen, regardless of age, regardless of desires or goals, the most important thing is to LIKE your horse.  When folks get interested in this sport, I always tell them to go with what they have as far as horse, equipment, etc.  I do suggest tights, I do suggest the shorter distances for the first time participant.  I do suggest conditioning, I do suggest helping out first, I do suggest going slow, I do suggest watching and learning and figuring out what will work for you.  My first ride was on an appy, quarter, morgan mix.  We did do 50 miles with me in jeans and a heavy western saddle.  I learned tons.  Perhaps the most I learned was at the Wisconsin 100 which I foolishly tried to do.  The vets  were super, I pulled at 50, and the one very nice vet walked me around camp while telling me the basics of getting a horse in shape.  I have basically followed his advice ever since with my own additions to his training ideals.  This was 1970!  My next horse was a part arab, and I havhad arabs and part arabs ever since!  That is not to say that I won't go to a gaited horse because it is a real possibility as I get older.  Actually a shetland pony looks pretty good to me.  Jeanie