[RC] What do you look for in an endurance prospect? - Mel Cochran

I am looking for a good "punch list" of sorts. I have one that I am going to sell, sooner or later and need to know what people look for. I want to honestly evaluate the horse for his his strengths and shortcomings and have a marketable animal. I am not sure if it would be better to sit on him for a while longer or go ahead and try to find him a person.

Do people prefer a "blank slate" or something that has been started? A little groundwork vs. being started under saddle?

Is a coming 3 year old too young to advertise as an endurance prospect? I am thinking of advertising him now, if he does not sell by this fall/winter having him started under saddle with the price reflecting such training - is that fair?

My thoughts on selling him to someone at a younger age is that the person who gets him could have time to really bond and form a good partnership before really starting him. I think of him as a one person kind of horse...I am choosing not to be that person, though he and I are pretty tight right now. ;-) This whole thing is going to be tough on me.

How much salt to people put on Arab bloodline types?

What sort of statistics are people looking for in an ad? I am thinking of resting heart rate, cannon bone circumference, etc.

Where are the best places to advertise to hit my "target" audience?

I have not sold very many horses so any guidance on this would be greatly appreciated. I think that I am sitting on a horse with a heck of a lot of potential for someone, I just want to do right by him.

Thanks!

Mel