Re: [RC] linking of pedigrees - Carolyn Burgess

There are two registries that I know of that meet the online 24/7 and that is the USTA (Standardbreds) and the APHA (American Paint Horse Association).  I have a contact at the USTA.  How would someone like me, who is willing to make the connection to a person at the breed organization, get the USTA and AERC to talk to make this happen?  I think that the reason it hasn't happened with other breed organizations is that no one who could help knew that anything needed to be done to make it happen.

Carolyn Burgess

Michael Maul <mmaul@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Arabs doing endurance, but no other breed. "

Here's a little background on why only registered Arabs and half Arabs
are linked in the AERC online records.

1. The pedigree links can only be done if the registry has a modern
database with a software support team and is available 24/7 from the
Internet. AHA does have that and probably spends $700K a year minimum on
that db and the support team.

2. The "linked to" registry needs to have something in it for them to
spend the effort on their end to create the software links and continued
support of the link when there is a problem. AHA feels like they
enhance their DataSource registry offering (which they charge for)
enough to justify the cost to them. The cost on their side was probably
$7K-$10K for the development of the interface.

3. Russ and I felt there was value to a large enough group of AERC
members to contribute our volunteer efforts on the AERC side to develop
and debug our side of the interface. Our volunteer efforts were
probably about $1.5K if there had been a charge.

If there's another registry that wants to contribute the effort on their
end to develop the s/w and database and support it - and the group in
AERC is large enough to justify our volunteer efforts again - Russ and I
would do it for another registry.

Mike