Re: [RC] non Arabs - Jennifer Adam

I just have to say that I've actually gotten MORE support from endurance riders about my mustang than I have from my local saddle club of Quarter-horse cowboys. Although I have heard jokes about needing a "real" endurance horse to do endurance, many people I've spoken with have been nothing but supportive. And even the die-hard Arab enthusiasts who at first discouraged me from putting all my heart and ambition into my mustang have changed their tune when they had the chance to see her in motion. She moves like an Arab - effortless, efficient stride; smooth, balanced carriage; she has wide nostrils and a clean throatlatch; incredible legs and hooves like iron; and most of all - the will to GO FORWARD (plus great recoveries!). To me those are the characteristics of a true endurance horse - and although they most often come from Arab/Arab crosses, they can be found in many breeds. BUT, at the same time, the truth is that NOT all horses are suited for endurance. If an experienced endurance rider raised a concern that MY horse may not be ready for a difficult trail, I would ask for specifics and try to learn as much as I could. Someone who has "been there, done that" might have a better eye than me for what a horse can and can't do. It may be that they have a valid reason to warn me. BUT, I would also spend enough time conditioning my horse, doing my homework, and preparing well so that I should be able to answer their concerns with reassurance and not proud obstinance. In the end, only you know what your horse is capable of - but only experienced endurance riders know what the trails require. To me the greatest thing about endurance riding is the opportunity to learn more about myself and my horse, and the best way to do that is to keep an open mind and be willing to learn from the experience of others.

Jen (who passionately loves BLM mustangs but knows not all of them are endurance horses!!)