From: RISTREE@xxxxxxx
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Fri, 26 May 2006 06:18:30 EDT
Subject: [RC] For the Vet Tech pour in pad aficionados ...

What do you use for mesh when you use mesh?

My first set of these pads didn't last for more than a week or two, and my farrier had used bascically gutter mesh between the hoof and shoe.

Another farrier who uses them regularly (a dressage friend's hubby) suggested the netting you use around roses, as the holes are a little smaller and the mesh is more pliable.

Any thoughts on this one?

This same farrier who uses them fairly regularly suggested using the blue insulation foam board (1/2" tho I've only managed to get 3/4") to ensure the pad pours in evenly.  You have the horse step onto it, the foam compresses and typically sticks to the hoof, and then you have a pouring cast, so to speak.

Happy for any advice/experience and please feel free to email me directly if you prefer not to clog up the list.

--Patti Stedman (Vet Tech newbie)