[RC] slickers - firedancefarms

Hi Beth,
I love full slickers! The only thing is I wish they would make them with hoods, as the water will tend to run down your back if you don't wear a bandana around your neck!  My feet don't even get wet!

Some tips on putting one on for the first time:

The first mistake I made was 'desensitizing" and then getting on with the slicker on.  Well, it will wrap you up like a straight jacket and the young horse I was riding sunfished straight up in the air (yes I had a handler) and came down with his nose planted in the ground, which also planted my face, and broke my sinus orbital.  Learned my lesson.  Never did that again!

The trick is  to ride with it on your saddle, letting it drape over each side.  Ride like that for awhile.  When it comes to putting it on, put it on ON THE HORSE...very slowly just put it over your shoulders, then stick one arm in and then the other.  If I'm lucky I'm doing this at a trot on a ride and the horse is paying attention to the horse in front of him and if he did bolt, he really doesn't have anywhere to go.   Pay extreme attention at all steps to your horse's comfort level.  By this time, it's usually pouring rain, so a slicker is nothing to his aggravation at getting wet!

Hope this helps, and please send that rain to OK!
Louise

Louise Burton
Firedance Farms Endurance Arabians
http://pages.prodigy.net/firedancefarms