[RC] Know your Horse - WRSINOSKY

Angie wrote: "I think a whole lot of what we attribute to the horse's personality or abilities is linked to our own."

I couldn't agree more, with Doimas being the exception of course. Please!  I shudder to even consider that I might be that squirrelly and stubborn.

I dabble in breeding with my QH and have occassion to meet a few outside mares who live here for one week to a month.  I've liked all of them, some more than others.  But the newest addition is quite interesting. She came to me from a neighbor who bought her from one of the Canadian PMU farms. The mare's hooves are terrible, which the girl told me is due to the fact that she won't pick up her feet and her farrier has a terrible time trimming her.

Since I know both the girl and the farrier and disagree with most of their "cowboy" methods of "teaching" a horse to do something, I've been paying particular attention to this mare.  She is very sweet, but frightened of people. If you approach her stall or go inside, she backs up to the furthest corner.  I bred her two days ago to my stallion and brought her back to her stall. She just plunked along behind me, very docile. So, when I got in the stall, I stroked and petted and talked to her awhile, then ran a hand down her LF leg. She handed me her hoof. Did the same thing with the other front.

Now, I'm not saying that's the same as using nippers, but for Pete's sake....in my mind it's not that much of a stretch. Could it possibly be the "way" these people are handling the mare?  I can't help but think so.

I know horses feed off our personalities. If you are nervous, they are nervous. Where you can't get a horse to load, some stranger can walk over and the horse leads right on the trailer.

So, I think you can know your horse to a point, but he will react differently to other people.

Cindy Edwards
buckeye, az