Re: [RC] Do treeless saddles distribute weight properly? - Christina Schiro

I am a heavyweight rider riding my arab for one year in a Barefoot Cheyenne treeless saddle with either a Skito or EquiPedic pad. My horse has even sweat pattern. I love my saddle! I have ridden my horse in ill-fitting saddles before, and my horse does not indicate to me that my treeless saddle does not fit him. I did have to replace the standard pommel with the wide pommel into the zipped pommel pouch, but luckily it's very easy to exchange out and it allows you to use the same saddle with different width horses.

Jennifer Adam <jatatahoe1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all -
Wellll...thought I had my perfect endurance saddle picked out, but now I'm
not so sure! Good grief, I never realized there were so many options and
possibilities!! I was planning to get a treeless saddle because I like close
contact and it seemed like it would be more comfortable for my horse, but
then I read some articles that said treeless saddles don't do an adequate
job of distributing a rider's weight. I've also looked at flexible tree
saddles, adjustable tree saddles, and custom fit saddles on traditional
trees. Then there's the choice between English and Western rigging. I'm
overwhelmed and confused! I learned to ride English and did a little
dressage and jumping. Right now I do probably half my riding bareback and
the other half in a traditional Western trail saddle. My saddle fits me
perfectly, but it feels bulky and doesn't fit my mustang as well as I would
like it to. She doesn't complain (yet!) - but we haven't done 50 miles in
it, either!! I'm sure you're all sick of this subject, but if anyone has
some spare time I would appreciate some advice on what to consider when
buying a saddle?? What are the advantages/disadvantages of the different
styles? Those of you with treeless saddles - do you like them?? Thanks so
much - sorry to be a pest, but you all are teaching me soooo much and I
really do appreciate it!!
Jen