Re: [RC] conditioning on old roads - Carolyn Loedeman

My mare Canadianluvaffair+/ has been conditioned and ridden on our back roads near our house and go from trails to roads and have close to 30 miles of trails with this and she is still going at the age of 18 and no lameness as long as I keep her hip from going out.  But that is not from riding on gravel roads.  Carolyn Loedeman OH
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2006 3:19 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] conditioning on old roads

We have two always steel shod horses with many miles on hard gravel roads.  One is 23 and still trots out CTR sound.  The other is 16 and is fully Endurance sound. (He always lost a few lameness points in UMECRA CTR's when he was 7}.

I really do not think it is unusual for horses started properly, to be ridden on hard roads a lot to remain sound into their 20's

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875