[RC] conditioning on old roads - Kathleen

Title: conditioning on old roads

Are the road currently being driven on or are they abandoned/closed roads?

If they are not being driven on they probably are not as hard as you might think.

I do the majority of my conditioning on closed/unused logging roads in eastern Washington (very dry) and have never had any problems.

When I was in college and had to condition on gravel roads around Pullman that were used all the time I had more concerns and tried to limit time on the roads once they dried out.

Use the same principles you would use for any surfacegradually build up the mileage avoiding rapid changes in mileage or speed so your horses legs can adjust to the conditions.