RE: RE: [RC] [RC] [Guest] Underage horses - for ride managers and mentors - heidi

Megan, Maggie Price spoke eloquently on this when the rule was first changed from being 4 and 5 years to being 48 and 60 months.  She called it a penalty for registered horses.  And she has a valid point.

As for showing papers or not, all the entry blanks here in the NW have a space not just for age but also for birth date.  If you have a registered horse, having to fill out that piece of information should remind one whether or not the horse meets the age requirement--and if a rider lies about it, it's certainly open for protest, since the actual ages of most registered horses can be looked up readily.

That said, if you have an unregistered horse with an unknown birthdate, the best thing you can do is to get an opinion from a vet well-versed in aging horses by teeth.  By the time the horse is 4-5 years old, there can be as much as 6 months' variation in age by teeth, but it's the best you've got.  And if you are in doubt, you're on your honor to err on the side of caution.

Heidi

How is it possible to enforce the “underage” rule?? If a horse isn’t registered, the owner may not even know the foaling date. If a horse is registered, is the rider required to show the horse’s papers? I’m a bit confused about how a ride manager would tell the difference between a 47 month old and a 48 month old.

~Megan

and Pride (born in a stump-filled, muddy field sometime in September of 1994…and boy was I scared when Mom rescued and bought me, not having been touched before!)

Disclaimer – I fully believe in the underage rule, and am by no means advocating its dismissal. Just curious about enforcement. That’s all. Really.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=