Re: [RC] pulsing down arabs vs gaited - RDCARRIE

I'm sure it does depend upon the individual horse and its build, as well as conditioning level.  My Arab gelding pulses down very quickly, even in East Texas heat and humidity.  We did a very hot/humid 50 last August (uggh) and he pulsed down within a minute or two of arriving.  This past weekend we did our first 100.  We'd walk the last couple hundred yards in, and he'd be in the 50s while drinking.  I'd throw some water on him just because I figured it would probably feel good - it was close to 90.  My husband rides a Paso Fino...his horse pulses down every bit as fast as Arabs, and faster than many.  His horse is one of the leaner-built Pasos (some are chunkier).  His is built like a radiator, and excels in this sport.

Dawn in East Texas