[RC] Right to Ride Bill in jeabody from Hikers!!! - Marinera

Dear Ridecampers,

Our future access to public trails is in a crisis situation.  I know that some of you live and ride in states that still have ample riding trails and you perhaps do not see the urgency that those of us who live in states where we are losing trails rapidly do. Believe me, you will be next on the list.
There is a bill before Congress, H. R. 586, now which is called the Right to Ride Livestock on Federal Lands bill.  I cannot emphasize how important this is to not only your private riding, but the sport of endurance riding.
The most important thing you can do today is to write, e-mail or telephone your Congressman/woman and your two State Senators in support of this bill. I want you to vote YES, but it is your decision.  If you do not know who your elected representatives are, call your local newspaper and ask for their names, e-mail address and mailing addresses (letters are best but anything is better than nothing). Now in case John and Steph think I am being political, well, they are certainly right. And you can vote anyway you want. But the next time I see you I am going to ask you if you voted,  not how you voted. And if you have not seen my mean look, you will flee in sheer fright.

The following is a message sent out by a hikers organization.  I hope it scares you enough to act—today! You
cannot put this off.

Julie Suhr

Hiker Alert!

http://www.highsierrahikers.org/ha-right-to-ride.html
Oppose “Right-to-Ride” Bill

Horse and mule users (including commercial packstock outfits) are lobbying Congress to “grandfather” their existing stock animal uses (and abuses) of wilderness, parks, and forests. All concerned hikers are urged to contact their U.S. representative
and their two senators, as soon as possible, to prevent this horrible legislation from becoming law. Your letters now will make a huge difference.

The bill (H.R. 586), called the “Right-to-Ride Livestock on Federal Lands Act of 2005,” would create a new federal law that says (among other things):

“As a general rule, all trails, routes, and areas used by pack and saddle stock shall remain open and accessible for such use.”

The bill could be interpreted to require the completion of expensive and time-consuming “environmental impact statements” before the land management agencies could place
any new restrictions on stock use. This would make it very difficult for the agencies to close any routes to stock animals, or to limit stock numbers, even where resource damage is well documented.
What You Can Do:

Send a letter ASAP to your U.S. representative and to each of your two U.S. senators and ask them to OPPOSE H.R. 586. Say the following:

     1.     You strongly OPPOSE H.R. 586 (“Right-to-Ride”)
     2.     No user group should receive such preferential treatment
     3.     The agencies should be able to limit any and all uses that are damaging to public lands and/or substantially harmful to the experience of other visitors. HR 586 would only delay and/or prevent them from doing so.

End your letter by repeating that you urge your representative or senator to strongly OPPOSE HR 586.

The address for U.S. representatives:
The Honorable
(name)
U.S. House of Representatives
Washington, D.C. 20515

The address for all senators:
The Honorable Senator
(name)
U.S. Senate
Washington, D.C. 20510

If you live in California, your two senators are Dianne Feinstein and Barbara Boxer. Please write to both !!!   If you live in another state, and don’t know the names of your two U.S. senators, ask your local newspaper editor, or find your senators’ names at
Project Vote Smart. You can find the name of your U.S. representative at the same site.

To see the bill in its entirety, visit the
Library of Congress website, and type in HR 586.

Please spread the word, and get other hikers, friends, and family members to write their representatives and senators, urging them to OPPOSE HR 586.

Home | About the HSHA  | What’s New | Help Us | Join Us | Contact Us | Current Issues | Resources | Essays | Geography | Comics | Links

Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls.
Great rates starting at 1¢/min.

--- Begin Message ---
Julie,
Here is what you are looking for.

[...]