Re: [RC] Proud Flesh Knees - Bette Lamore

Hi Christa
I beg to differ with you yet Granulex is the medicine we used very successfully
for most of Bunny's wounds when they started getting proud flesh. It was the
acid test of any medication because he was down for 4 months with pressure
sores galore!! We tried turning him every 2-3 hours yet he would turn himself
right back over the minute we were out of sight at night. So long as we used
Granulex at the start of the proud flesh, we were OK. It has only been when the
proud flesh has protruded beyond where the skin would be that I have had to go
for the scalpel-- ugh! Not my favorite thing and proud flesh is just a mass of
blood vessels-- no nerves-- but man does it bleed!! I thought we were going to
lose Bunny over it-- held compresses on him for hours-- yet the proud flesh was
so bad we had to get it under control while we still had him in a sling and had
some control over him (like we EVER had control over him ;-) )
Go to his web site if you want to read what we did to help him survive.
http://www.saving-bunny.com  Ridecamp gave me many of the keys to helping him
survive his ordeal. Granulex is my friend! And I have also used Panacur once a
wound has started to heal (not immediately) and that helps prevent proud
flesh-- but man is it expensive! We were going through what seemed cases of
Granulex and now Bunny is perfectly fine with just a few spots where white hair
came in-- so we have a Pinto! :-)
I am obviously not a vet, although I followed their advice largely (except for
their recommendations to put Bunny down), and can only offer what worked for us.
Bette and Bunny (who is happy we did not follow ALL the vets' advice)
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians
Home of Bunny and 16.2h TLA Halynov
who lives on through his legacy Hal's Riverdance!
http://www.arabiansporthorse.com

"Life is not  a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --WOW-- what
a ride !! "

christabas@xxxxxxx wrote:
Granulex is what you DON'T need. Granulex is used to STIMULATE growth, and proud flesh is too much growth!