RE: [RC] proud flesh treatment - Susan E. Garlinghouse, D.V.M.

Yes, the cutting-edge treatment is to use silicate or hydrophilic alginate dressings, or similar---dressings that keep a wound moist and protected, with appropriate pressure to retard granulation tissue.  If a vet starts aggressive and consistent treatment at the time of the initial injury, then it’s not unusual to not ever develop proud flesh as the wound heals, because the vet can fine-tune topical therapeutics to suit how the wound looks that particular day or week or whatever.

The primary problem with the hydrophilic dressings is that they have to be changed about every second or third day, and what with a farm call, brief exam, sedation if needed and bandage material, the total costs add up for the client in a big hurry.  A lot of people just can’t come up with $300-400 dollars a week or more for two or three bandage changes, and it’s not always something that can easily be handed over to a client with instructions.  Some clients can be taught to do a good bandage change, and know what to look for, while others just can’t for whatever reason.

So, very often, using topical steroids, a good proper bandage and changes a little less often gets the job done very well, without the owner having to refinance the house. The hydrophilic dressings are really, really good, just harder to provide economically sometimes outside of a hospital setting.

JMO.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM