RE: Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] Flaxen, Sabino gene - heidi

On 1/10/06, heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 So talking about a
"sabino gene" is not accurate.

It may not be entirely accurate, but it is useful for conversational
purposes when we cannot launch into extensive detail.

One need not be inaccurate to avoid detail.  Perhaps a better way to
describe it would be the "sabino trait."  Unfortunately, it is so often
called a "gene" that many reading it take it lterally and think that
there actually has been one identified.  And that simply isn't the
case.

It does tend to
breed true (i.e. at least one parent must show at least minimal sabino
patterns to produce sabino offspring).

Ummm, no.  Sabino "cropouts" from extremely "solid" parents are not at
all uncommon--and in fact, were for many years very socially
unacceptable in QHs, despite their not unfrequent occurrence.

True enough for clear patterns
to be recognized that are not due entirely to chance.

Certainly a genetic basis behind it--not "entirely due to chance"--but
that is not the same thing as saying it is a "gene."

And I have yet
to see a clear instance where sabino popped up randomly where neither
parent showed even minimal signs of it, although if you look at the UC
Davis paper that I referenced, overo seems to be a relatively common
mutation in QH's that will then breed true - perhaps something such as
this occurs with sabino, or the gene(s) that cause it.

Well, no--many horses that have been mistaken for "overos" really are
sabinos.  And many of these come from "solid" parents and do not test
positive for the overo gene.

We just don't
know.  What Kris, and you have missed is that I never indicated that
the original posters mare did NOT have the gene, merely that it was
not certain that she did. I would guess not, but as I indicated, I
recognized that there was no way to be certain.

Well, no--it wasn't that part of your post to which I was referring at
all.  I was responding to the erroneous mention by several posters (of
which you were only one) that there is indeed "a" gene that causes the
sabino trait.

I also noted in my original response that (in my opinion) there were
likely more or different genes involved due to the variations found in
different breeds.

Yes, you did--which is contradictory to calling it a single gene in the
first place.

It would be beneficial to read clearly before responding, as I offered
only my opinion, and references to what is known and what is not
known.

Perhaps I should respond to that by saying that perhaps if people would
write more clearly, one would not have to read around such inaccuracies
as "sabino gene"....

Heidi