RE: [RC] [RC] A sad story for AERC - Mcgann, Barbara

Catfish,

I think you're right on in this message.  I'm sure if we were honest with
ourselves, we all started out with grandiose thoughts, maybe we just didn't
voice them.  I started endurance riding in 1970 with Jacque Jewkes taking me
under her wing.  We conditioned for our first ride for 3 months and everywhere
we went we trotted fast!   Trot, trot, trot, trot!  In my mind, I'm thinking,
wow, we are hot stuff.   We're going to go to that race and win.   Come the day
of the ride, everyone lined up and I'm ready to spring into our award-winning
trot.  The RM said go, and all around me, horses took off at a dead run.  I was
very surprised, but settled into our trot.  I figured that those guys
(including my pal, Jacque) would wear their horses out and that somewhere down
the line, I would pass them by in a blaze of glory.  I NEVER saw them the rest
of the race and came in dead last.  That was my wake up call, and made me
realize that I had a lot to learn if I ever hoped to "run with the big boys".
:>))

Maybe this guy is a little up-front with his bragging, but to condemn him out
of hand is a little harsh.  There's also a wonderful story about Bill
Thornberg, who thought that since he rode his horses everyday on the ranch, he
didn't need to condition for the Tevis.  He said that by the time he got to 30
miles, he knew he had never ridden that far in his entire life!  By the time he
got to 70, his girls were leading his horse with him slumped over it.  He says
he was never so humiliated, but determined to learn how to do this great sport;
and of course we all know how that turned out.

So, Amber, keep an eye on him, but give him a chance!!

Barb McGann