Re: [RC] Bucking - Truman Prevatt

Carolyn Burgess wrote:

I had a horse that was a champion bucker.

I had a horse that was a champion bucker. We could not figure out why. He'd tossed two trainers and put the former owner in the hospital - you think I was getting on him ;-) ?

We found a local NH trainer that also rode rodeo in his younger days and liked problem horses. I suspected that once we found out why he bucked - we could solve it. But we first needed to understand the problem.

First time Todd comes out he put his big old Western saddle on Avanti. This is a short backed Arab boy did that look funny. Then he goes to girth it up and says - I don't know if I have a girth big enough. He used a girth he used on warmbloods. Then Todd says I think I know the problem. We take him to the round pen and as soon as Todd asked Avanti to canter he set out bucking like crazy.

Seems that Avanti has a huge heart girth. When he canters - the chest expands, hits the girth and he panics. After we figured it out Todd came up with a program to desensitize Avanti. In about 5 trips Todd was riding Avanti.

I've been riding Avanti four about 5 months now. The only time he bucked on me was when I asked for a canter. At that time, however, the saddle I was using on him didn't fit well so I suspect that was the problem. Since I gotten him a saddle that fits - he hasn't offered to buck.

Sometimes when they are bucking they are really trying to tell you something, but their vocabulary is not that big.

Truman

--

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity."

- Albert Einstein