[RC] Bucking - Carolyn Burgess

I had a horse that was a champion bucker.  That was how he figured out that he could get out of working.  He was never one of those that would buck without warning, he gave a big warning.  You could feel him start to pull himself together.  Then he would drop his head and arch his back.  If you didn't get him stopped by this time (pulled his head up and get him to move forward), the buck would come next.  And they were powerful.  He taught me to be a much better rider.  I never changed my body position (english rider, english saddle, dressage body position, leg always underneath me), but I made my butt stick to that saddle like glue.  Just rode a very deep, solid seat.  This horse was never able to unseat me.  I'd also leg him forward into a very extended trot in a nice frame.  Almost impossible to buck from that position.

He finally gave up bucking because he knew it stopped working.  There was one time he did really buck.   We went to Vermont to GMHA for a fall foliage ride.  They are just beautiful.  But GMHA has no turnout.   So he was in a stall for almost a day before he got ridden.  So we rode out on a cool, fall morning, isn't that a recipe for shenanigans?  We were headed for a BIG hill and I could feel that he needed to blow off steam.  I told my husband to just go, and I would catch him.  My guy proceded to buck for about 200 yards up that hill, just blowing off steam.  It was actually kind of fun.

Carolyn Burgess