Re: [RC] How did [I] get [Ended]? Bucked Off! Advice? - RDCARRIE

In a message dated 1/8/2006 12:08:24 PM Central Standard Time, sensei@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<<What is your favorite way for riding out bucks (body position)? >>

Whatever keeps me on...hands clasped in prayer and swearing profusely usually works.  Seriously, though, usually one rein in each hand, trying to keep the horse's head up.

<<How do you tell if a horse will keep on bucking or settle down?>>

Swishing tail, ears back, tense body are never good signs.  Horse relaxed and moving forward and responsive, danger is probably past.  Unless of course the horse starts bucking again...LOL.

<<What is your favorite way to stop bucking?>>

First, try to prevent it from happening...anticipate problems, keep horse's head up, drive horse forward.  Or turn the horse in a circle.  These also work if the horse is already bucking.

<<Should I have gotten back on Miles immediately? >>

Not if you weren't comfortable doing so.  Why risk getting hurt if you doubted your ability to control the horse?  Better to stay safe, rqther than get hurt trying to prove something to yourself or others.

<<Miles is out in a big pasture but hadn’t been ridden in 6 weeks, when he did a 50. Is that a long time in terms of pent up energy?

I'd say so...a very fit horse, back out on the trail for the first time in 6 weeks.  My 50 mile horse is noticeably more full of himself if he's not ridden for a week.

<<Why Me...(Found out later that this was his usual cantering stretch, so he was programmed to GO!---but he’s never bucked before!) I was pretty sure the bucking was due to our altercation over gait>>

I wouldn't be surprised if this was a big part of it...

Don't beat yourself up over it...for what it's worth, I think you made the right decision by *not* getting back on Miles...*he* certainly didn't care one way or another, and there was no sense in you possibly getting hurt trying to prove something to yourself or your riding partners.  It might take you a while to get your confidence back...that's ok...don't push it.

I'm glad you weren't hurt.

Dawn in East Texas