Re: [RC] (no subject) - SandyDSA

In a message dated 5/12/2006 11:15:31 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, Merryben@xxxxxxx writes:
Why is it that people will try a sport where their horse can die without preparing for it and at least being familiar with the rules.  You need to read the rules before entering a ride, even with a mentor.  Sometimes the mentors don't know the rules.  I can tell you who to ask though.....ask one of my juniors....they know all the rules........
I can tell yo why - because for the past decade or more, we have been promoting mediocrity in order to "produce self esteem". No one actually has to be competent anymore, so long as they feel good about themselves. You disagree? Talk to a high school student or college student about exit exams, the state of the valedictorian controversy. Ask a 4th grader who all gets awards at the end of soccer season. Check in with people who have lost jobs they were well qualified for due to affirmative action (no political suggestion here). Reality ends where false self esteem begins. Why do these people think they should be able to jump right in and also have rules bent to suit them? Because our self centered, screwed up sense of entitlement TELLS them they should, that's why. In MY day (here I go dating myself), one actually had to be capable of performing a given task before being allowed to participate. One did not have to be a star or a legend, but one DID have to have a grasp of the necessities of the endeavor. Check it out - some judge just set aside the required exit exam for high school seniors on the grounds that it is unfair to limited English students. Well, CRAP even MORE reason they should have to pass the exam, which  only requires 10th grade proficiency in English and math! And these young people will be running the country when we retire...God preserve us! That is why people think they should be allowed to participate even when they have no reasonable sense of preparedness.