[RC] Ariat Terrains - Quality?? - Carolyn Burgess

Shin splints are a common distance riding injury, so be aware that may be your problem.  I am an Ariat fan, and I do own the Terrains.  However, I have found that they are only comfortable for about 20 - 25 miles.  I can't wear them for an entire 50 mile ride.  I will have to change to my Ariat Cobalt paddock boots at some point in a 50.  If the trail isn't too mucky, I'll ride the whole 50 in them. The Terrains do not have the same system in them as the Cobalts (the Terrains are either 4LR or ATS), neither have the same support or comfort as the Cobalts.  The Cobalts are worth the price you pay for them, they will be more than double the cost of the Terrains.

The Terrains are designed to fit like running shoes do.  If you run, when you go to buy running shoes, the size they put you in will be 1/2 size to 2 sizes larger than your regular shoe.  This allows for the proper amount of room needed when you run.  I think Ariat did the same thing with their Terrains so when you order the correct size, there is a little extra room designed into the shoe.

I have problems with the balls of my feet getting sore, but that is because I have a callous problem.  If I don't keep them trimmed, I will get awful pain in the balls of my feet.  I had that happen several weekends ago at a 30 mile CTR.  About 25 miles into it, I was in pain because I didn't trim my callouses before the ride (DISCLAIMER - I have been trimming my own callouses for 35 years.  I do not recommend doing this unless you know what you are doing).

Carolyn Burgess

Lysane Cree <lysanec@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I have been reading some of the posts in the archives and there seems to be mixed reviews on the Ariats generally and the Terrains. How is the quality of the Ariats holding up lately?

I just ordered some Terrains and its definitely true that they are bigger and wider than most - I was comfortable in a womens' 7, and I have never worn that in my life. So far I have good experiences with Ariat but mostly with their clothes, not their boots.

I am hoping to alleviate the pain in my feet that I have been getting from riding in hiking shoes - they are good shoes but made for hiking in rocks and mountains (I hiked around the North rim of the Grand Canyon this fall with them while on vacation), so the sole is very stiff and if I add the arch support I need, I think it puts too much pressure on the ball of my feet. My toes have been going numb, burning and I have been getting a pain in my shin. Did not get this prior to wearing these shoes, so I guess they need to remain as hiking shoes and not riding shoes.

I was sometimes buying the Mountain Horse brand for awhile (about the same pricing as Ariat), but the quality does not seem to be there for the price - many times the zippers broke on new jackets, the synthetic material on their winter boots cracked, etc. For the money, I expect quality. I'm hoping that Ariat will live up to that.  (??)

Lysane