Re: [RC] Ariat Terrains - Quality?? - Sharon Levasseur

I bought my Terrains only a few months after they first came on the market, and
they're still holding up great.  I wear them from April through about October,
both while riding and around the barn.  They LOOK nasty but they're holding up
perfectly as far as stitching and soles go, and I bet they'd look better if I'd
done a better job keeping them clean and oiled.

About that toe numbness and shin problems.  I know you said in your case it's
those hiking shoes, but I thought I'd throw this out there.  I've recently had
the same problems while riding (with my Terrains) and my chiropractor made me
buy custom orthotic insoles with nice big "transverse arches" which is the
small arch right behind the ball of your foot.  NOT the big arch in the middle
of your foot that most people buy supports for.  (There are actually THREE
arches in your foot.)  I think he said that when the transverse arch falls, you
get plantar fascitis (not sure exactly WHAT that is) and frequently numb toes
and painful shins.

For me, the shin thing is actually the top of the lower outer leg bone (fibular
head) coming slightly out of whack where it attaches to the knee.  He says that
will resolve itself once I start wearing my insoles.

Anyway... like I said... just thought I'd throw that out there.  Even if it
doesn't help you it might ring a bell with someone else.

-Sharon L.

Quoting Lysane Cree <lysanec@xxxxxxxx>:

Hi,

  I have been reading some of the posts in the archives and there seems to be
mixed reviews on the Ariats generally and the Terrains. How is the quality of
the Ariats holding up lately?

  I just ordered some Terrains and its definitely true that they are bigger
and wider than most - I was comfortable in a womens' 7, and I have never worn
that in my life. So far I have good experiences with Ariat but mostly with
their clothes, not their boots.

  I am hoping to alleviate the pain in my feet that I have been getting from
riding in hiking shoes - they are good shoes but made for hiking in rocks and
mountains (I hiked around the North rim of the Grand Canyon this fall with
them while on vacation), so the sole is very stiff and if I add the arch
support I need, I think it puts too much pressure on the ball of my feet. My
toes have been going numb, burning and I have been getting a pain in my shin.
Did not get this prior to wearing these shoes, so I guess they need to remain
as hiking shoes and not riding shoes.

  I was sometimes buying the Mountain Horse brand for awhile (about the same
pricing as Ariat), but the quality does not seem to be there for the price -
many times the zippers broke on new jackets, the synthetic material on their
winter boots cracked, etc. For the money, I expect quality. I'm hoping that
Ariat will live up to that.  (??)

  Lysane