Re: [RC] re: drafting/pet peeves - Joe Long

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 19:51:25 -0500, "firedancefarms"
<firedancefarms@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Joe Long wrote:
<<I've waited for other riders after they had a fall or needed to make a tack
adjustment; I don't think that obligates them to not race me at the end.  There
was a ride in Missouri where a young rider fell a couple of miles from the
finish, I caught his horse for him, then he beat me at the finish line --
that's
OK.  When I broke my ankle the two riders I was with waited for me until I got
back aboard, nevertheless I still tried to win the ride and finished second.>>

Sorry Joe, some people think it's ok to steal too, but this is NOT OK.  That
young rider should not have beaten you, nor should you have tried to beat the
two people who helped you.
Nothing will get you 'blacklisted' faster here, except cutting trail!
Louise
Louise Burton
Firedance Farms Endurance Arabians
http://pages.prodigy.net/firedancefarms

Well, Louise, I guess this is something we will just disagree on.  That kind of
unwritten "rule" is IMO completely inappropriate to a racing event.  All anyone
has to do is wait for you while you adjust tack or get back on from a fall and
you can't race them?  You give away any chance to beat them on the trail?  In
the case where I broke my ankle, had they just kept going I believe the
finishing order would have been exactly the same as it was.  The eventual winner
and I finished well ahead of the fellow who ended up third.  In fact, they both
left the last vet check ahead of me, and I had to catch up.

If that is the "unwritten rule" in the CT region, then I will insist that no one
ever wait for me for any reason when I'm riding there, unless I'm so badly
damaged that I'm not going to go on.  I'd much rather get left so that I can
still "go for it."

I've always thought it was a great thing about our sport that we help each other
out on the trail, even while we are competing with one another.  But even while
we're helping each other, we're still competing.  I've never felt that this
entailed forfeiting the ride to anyone who extends such courtesy, and I've never
expected anyone to forfeit the ride to me when I extend such courtesy.  To me,
that's one of the great things about our sport.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx