Re: [RC] re: drafting/pet peeves - Truman Prevatt

Joe,

I was a little surprised at this also. This doesn't seem to be much an issue in the SE or maybe most just don't pay much attention.
If you are in it to race - and just because you ride with a group the last loop doesn't mean you should "tie." Bottom line is who has the longest fastest kick is the winner. If a horse doesn't have speed to win it in the last mile, the rider should be pushing hard the last 5 miles to take the kick out of the legs of the others.

I've never quite understood the desire to tie. I see it more often today that in the past. I remember an unforgettable ride I had with Lawton Johnston some 10 to 15 years ago. I caught up with him on the last loop. My horse was fresh his wasn't. My horse pulled his horse and at a mile out he takes off. I buried him. It was fun. Did I begrudge Lawton using my horse to get close to give it a shot - hell no. A smart rider will use all his tricks. At the end we shook hands because we both had a great ride. I just happened to be faster that day. I'm sure you can tell many of these stories. Isn't that what this sport is all about?

Truman

Joe Long wrote:

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 18:52:23 -0500, "April Allison" <aallison1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>