Re: [RC] re: drafting/pet peeves - Joe Long

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 21:54:40 -0400, Truman Prevatt <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Joe,

I was a little surprised at this also. This doesn't seem to be much an
issue in the SE or maybe most just don't pay much attention.
If you are in it to race - and just because you ride with a group the
last loop doesn't mean you should "tie." Bottom line is who has the
longest fastest kick is the winner. If a horse doesn't have speed to win
it in the last mile, the rider should be pushing hard the last 5 miles
to take the kick out of the legs of the others.

I've never quite understood the desire to tie. I see it more often today
that in the past. I remember an unforgettable ride I had with Lawton
Johnston some 10 to 15 years ago. I caught up with him on the last loop.
My horse was fresh his wasn't. My horse pulled his horse and at a mile
out he takes off. I buried him. It was fun. Did I begrudge Lawton using
my horse to get close to give it a shot - hell no. A smart rider will
use all his tricks. At the end we shook hands because we both had a
great ride. I just happened to be faster that day.  I'm sure you can
tell many of these stories. Isn't that what this sport is all about?

Truman

Oh, yeah.  Having read some of the fussin' about "drafting" I imagine some
people were ticked at Kahlil and I in years past.  Kahlil would bop along fine
by himself, or any place in line EXCEPT first.  If he was in front of a line of
horses he'd figure "what's the hurry?" and just dog it.  So it was to EVERYONE's
advantage in the group that we not go in front.

At the 1984 Big Horn 100, at about 70 or 80 miles we were bopping along 2nd or
3rd in a line of six or so when the lead rider missed a turn.  We made the turn,
hollering at the others to call them back to it.  Well, as soon as Kahlil found
himself in front he dropped to a walk (and there were a couple of riders out
ahead of us a ways, out of sight).  While I'm getting after him to pick back up
to a trot, the original lead rider passes saying to me "Let me back in front,
Joe, I've got a lot of horse left."  I grin inside thinking to myself, "OK, you
just keep thinking that I don't."  About three miles from the finish we turned
it on, pulled away and finished first by a minute or so.  He also won B.C.
Those last three miles were the only time, other than maybe 100 yards, that he
was in front all day.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx