RE: [RC] was drafting, now -- how the heck to start safely! - Alison Farrin

I use Angie's trick, with the exception that we have learned to aim for
the bottom of the top 20.  The horses in this group are not going hell
bent for leather, but are setting a nice, usually controlled pace. There
is very little jockeying for position and everyone in this part of the
pack is going the same speed. If my horse is silly, its easier to get
him to settle at 10mph than it is at either 15mph or 5 mph.  Not to say
that with my current horse I didn't spend the first couple rides on the
ground walking until he decided that forward was better than bucking,
because I did!

Alison

When it's time to start, I may trot to the far end of the strip where
we're warming up, and try to arrive just as everyone is leaving. I just
drop into the back of the pack, but I don't wait till they're gone
because that's what everyone who has a crazy horse does!  If my horse is
sane, but I'm afraid he'll try to go too fast, why would I want to get
behind a bunch of horses that are skittering sideways, circling,
kicking, or whatever with my forward horse who now has to get around
them? If these horses are scared it's not going to help that in their
mind the entire herd just ran away, which means there's lions or wolves
probably getting ready to eat those left behind! They know those horses
are up there and they want to get to the safety of the herd. If my horse
is willing to trot within the herd that's where I'll put him. If you
can't stand the fact he's trotting 10mph and you trained at 7 this may
not satisfy you. As the pack spreads out it's easier to ease him on
down. They seem to figure out that all those horses are just trotting
along businesslike, not running away from anything.

Angie

CONFIDENTIAL
This communication (including any attachments) may contain privileged or
confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is
protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this
communication and/or shred the materials and any attachments and are hereby
notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this communication,
or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited. Thank you.