Re: [RC] was drafting, now -- how the heck to start safely! - rides2far@xxxxxxxx

Sure would like to hear some discussion on "the start" . . . what can be
proactively done in ridecamp before the ride starts to set the  such as how
long before saddling for the ride, how long to warm >>up, when to leave
(besides the obvious--wait for the pack to leave) >>to set the horse up for
success.

I am far from the perfect example for how to have a perfectly relaxed
controlled start...however, I disagree with the "obvious" of waiting for the
pack to leave. Here's how I do it and why. Some may tell you much better ways:

I feed two hours before I plan to get on his back.

I allow 30 minutes to saddle, just to make sure I'm not rushed. This may
include 3 trips to the bathroom according to how nervous I am.

I get him moving 30 minutes before the start. I may just handwalk some of that
to loosen myself up. I'll walk 15 minutes, then mix walk & trot for awhile,
then let him hit a big trot a few times with a little walking afterwards. I
picture sludge that's being stirred up when I trot and walking moving it on
out. >G<

When it's time to start, I may trot to the far end of the strip where we're
warming up, and try to arrive just as everyone is leaving. I just drop into the
back of the pack, but I don't wait till they're gone because that's what
everyone who has a crazy horse does!  If my horse is sane, but I'm afraid he'll
try to go too fast, why would I want to get behind a bunch of horses that are
skittering sideways, circling, kicking, or whatever with my forward horse who
now has to get around them? If these horses are scared it's not going to help
that in their mind the entire herd just ran away, which means there's lions or
wolves probably getting ready to eat those left behind! They know those horses
are up there and they want to get to the safety of the herd. If my horse is
willing to trot within the herd that's where I'll put him. If you can't stand
the fact he's trotting 10mph and you trained at 7 this may not satisfy you. As
the pack spreads out it's easier to ease him on down. They seem to figure out
that all those horses are just trotting along businesslike, not running away
from anything.

Angie