[RC] how the heck to start safely! - Jonni

Beth, Since I am a ride to finish, not a "race" type rider, I always try to leave camp at a walk. Be it a NATRC ride, or an endurance ride. Others can blast on by, but Hank is to WALK until I say otherwise. This is one of the toughest things to teach I believe, but worth it in the long run. We started with NATRC, and the horses don't leave in a mass. Then, first 50, I waited 10 min. for everyone to leave, then walked out of camp. Next ride was a controlled start down a road, which worked out nice, as we were all going nice and easy. His first real big group start, where we had to start moving right away, was Tevis. I think the fact I had made all ride starts so relaxing for him up until that, he was very well behaved. He walked nice and quiet to the staging area, and stood quiet as we waited for the call of the trail being open. He knew no different, as he had never been asked to move out quick at a ride start.

Also, I know some teach them to be relaxed and quiet by leading out of camp a little ways. I just prefer to be on him. I do nothing special as far as warm up, or when I saddle. But, I do not get uptight that much myself. THAT will wind up your horse the most, is if you are uptight and nervous. It is just a ride. No need to be nervous. Keep telling yourself that.  And if your horse is tugging, pulling, and being bad, try to not give in and let them get their way. pull off and get their mind back on you, stop and let them graze. What ever it takes to have the focus on you, and what you ask, and not charging down the trail. Once you have a horse who learns to charge and fight you, they are harder to change. And riding a horse who is fighting you is really not fun in my book.
Jonni