Re: [RC] Securing Horses - rides2far@xxxxxxxx

I'm sorry, but I think going up and yelling at people you don't know is not
the way to go here.  Even if you don't live in Hillbilly >>>Tennessee, where
it pays to be friendly, it's just not something I'd suggest to anyone as a
way to handle this type of situation.

If you move to the Tennessee Mountains, from the North, by way of Florida...it
probably would be a good idea to be very very careful. However, we are not
talking about a camp full of drunks who forgot to water their horses because
they emptied two saddlebags of beer on their last ride. We're talking about an
endurance camp full of pretty well informed riders, who are usually trying to
figure out how to do things better. If you've seen mishaps before...you've seen
people hurt *badly* enough to be life changing. You've had to grab your own
kids and yank them behind a tree at this same ride before because someone let a
horse get loose and sprint through camp creating havoc, maybe you don't feel
like being subtle.Especially if it's the same person who brought a barking dog
that the entire camp has been complaining about and hasn't thought to do
anything about that the entire weekend either.

It's a lot easier to grumble than it is to confront someone, but sometimes it
needs done. I often admire people who are very straightforward about things,
though I am more likely to be the grumbler. I knew someone whose horses were
too thin. I grumbled. A friend went up to them and just said flat out, "You
need to feed your horses more, they all look hungry." Amazing thing. The guy
did, and the horses looked much better. I've seen others run their horses too
hard. I'm more likely to mumble about them. Others went over and talked to them
about it and they improved. If people who are experienced will confront people
in a good way, maybe not *everyone* will learn about loose horses the hard way.

Angie